Visit the NBus pages to find out about public transport services in Nelson
Melrose House, in Brougham Street, is one of the last surviving "grand" homes of Nelson. Melrose House was designed by Mr J Scotland and built around 1876 for Mr Charles Fowell Willett Watts, who arrived at Nelson in the ship "Will Watch" in 1841. The once ornate interior however was stripped in 1973 when the Women's Division of Federated farmers, to whom it had been bequeathed, stopped using it as a holiday rest home.
Melrose is owned by Nelson City Council who maintain the exterior of the house and the beautiful grounds which have an historic places rating. They contain a number of trees planted in the 1890’s.
The interior is managed by the Melrose Society. Since 1974 the Society has worked to preserve and refurbish the interior, so it can be used by groups and organisations in the community, as well as hired out for private social functions.
The Melrose Café is a popular place for breakfast and lunch or a sumptuous high tea. Go to the Melrose Cafe site for more details.
An interpretative panel in the grounds tells more of the history of the past owners and features early photographs from the Nelson Provincial Museum archives.
Go to the PROW website for more research about this historic site. You can also download the Melrose Garden Walk guide and audio from this site.
Walk maps are also available from café and reception area.
For all enquiries, please phone the manager on +64 3 548 7269. The postal address is
26 Brougham Street